I always wanted to make a film for my daughter Nikhil Advani, director of Delhi Safari, says India is now ready to receive good quality animation films

I always wanted to make a film for my daughter

Nikhil Advani, director of Delhi Safari, says India is now ready to receive good quality animation films



Why did you make an animation film? I always wanted to make a film that my daughter could watch with her friends and one with a message, like we have in Delhi Safari, and it was the ideal one to recreate on screen. Now, when characters like Bajrangi (monkey) or Alex (parrot) show up, I see the excitement on her face and I know I have taken the right decision. It also allowed me to explore a new genre.
Is there a difference in making a film with animated characters and real-life actors? Real-life actors create animated characters. I always wondered why would one cast Robbie Williams, a fantastic actor and use just his voice, like it was done in Alladin (1992). But once you start scripting and create a visual of a character and its voice, you automatically link it to a real-life
actor. In Delhi Safari, Bajrangi’s fun and antics have all fallen into place, thanks to Govinda’s voice.
Will your film pave the way for animation films to be received differently in India? Animation is still
in its infancy stage in India. But now that we have the opportunity to create good quality animation films and get a nationwide release, why shouldn’t we explore the option. Once we start establishing and investing, other filmmakers will attempt to make one too.
When compared to Hollywood, Indian animation films are not considered cool… I don’t believe that. I have a six-year-old who loves Bal Hanuman. The West definitely has a larger audience, but with the right marketing strategies, we can strive to achieve that too.

The animated figure of a producer with French beard in the film is you, right? You need to ask the animators. And if it’s me, I wish I had a house like that (laughs).
Delhi Safari, produced by
Krayon Pictures and directed by Nikhil Advani, releases October 19.

A still from Delhi Safari


Nikhil Advani

No comments:

Post a Comment