While portraying real-life incidents in movies, you can't take liberties: Nishikant Kamat






Nishikant Kamat is a man of few words. In fact, he confesses this, a tad self-consciously , as we settle down for the interview. He says, “It's nicer to direct a film, however speaking about it is difficult.“ The director exudes a calm confidence as he looks forward to the release of Madaari rather than get nervous about its box-office verdict. In an exclusive interview he tells us about his wish to helm fewer movies every year, his love for cinema and working with first-time producer Irrfan.

Madaari is a real-life drama. So, what were the challenges that you faced while working on it?

It is inspired by a real-life incident (the collapse of an under-construction metro bridge in Andheri in 2012). We have explored human emotions and how the whole accident affected people.While portraying real-life incidents in movies, you can't take liberties.Sticking to the milieu is tough in a real-life drama as I can't incorporate a song with the lead actor breaking into a jig or have 100 dancers in the film. At the same time, I have to make it thrilling and engaging.That is the biggest challenge.

Social media is abuzz with rumours that Irrfan's character is based on Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.Is it true?

I don't understand where these rumours emerge from. I am tired of refuting these claims. His character is not based on Kejriwal.

The film also explores the father-son relationship. So, did you incorporate your personal experiences too?

I live with my father and share a normal relationship with him. I don't know if I have incorporated my personal experiences subconsciously .

The movie starts off as a thriller and gets emotional as it progresses. I don't want to reveal much but it was about time a father-son relationship was explored on screen. Having said that, everyone has questions about the way we live in the country and I'm fortunate to be working in a medium through which I can express myself. So, in this film, I have raised questions about our existence, accountability and several other issues.

You have worked with Irrfan, the actor, earlier. How different was it collaborating with him as a producer this time around?

We go back a long way . He was 27 and I was 24 when I first directed him for a TV show. Then we worked together in Mumbai Meri Jaan. Now, we are back after eight years. And the best part was that he got me onboard as the director. Once we started shooting, he was in his element as an actor. Irrfan is one of the finest actors of our country . He's not only immersed in his craft but is also demanding. He is so talented that I'm always on my toes around him.He asks the right questions, so I've to be ready with the answers.

Does that mean he made your job as a director easier?

Yes, Irrfan comes well-prepared on the sets. He is a no-nonsense actor and is serious about his work.This obviously made my job easier. He knew his costumes and dialogues and that eased my pressure to a great extent. I have not taken a single retake because he never forgot his lines.

Given a choice, would you have chosen him to play the protagonist?

Of course. We are both dedicated people when it comes to the craft. I remember there were two scenes which I had not written. Though the film was 80 per cent ready , we waited for five months to get them right. I tend to get stubborn with my scripts so Irrfan understood that.

You have made a few commercial movies but you have won more appreciation for your hard-hitting films. Do you get tempted to make commercial cinema as the box office believes in numbers?

I'm not the kind who gets carried away by formulaic cinema. I love filmmaking. If the story is good and requires a bigger star then I will need that much money to make it, and then come back to the producer with more money too. At times, I'm happy that I'm making a film on a small budget. I'm not worried about star value, the return on investment is more important. If the producer has invested in me, he must get his returns. The number game has never been important for me. A good story and correct budget makes it work. Also, if I have made a Mumbai Meri Jaan, I have also directed movies like Drishyam and Rocky Handsome.

You have also acted in a couple of films. Will you face the camera in the future too?

I act when I'm free but direction is my passion. I'm lucky that I've managed both mainstream and parallel cinema. I'm happy that now, people are enjoying films like Neerja and Airlift. If I had made Mumbai Meri Jaan today , it would have been a bigger hit. And this is a welcome change in our cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment