Taapsee pannu new movie "Naam Shabana"

 `Women should stop expecting a knight in shining armour to rescue them'




Taapsee Pannu's big Bollywood debut in 2013 failed to leave a mark. It wasn't until a cameo in the 2015 thriller Baby and an authorbacked role in last year's social drama, Pink, that she tasted success and critical acclaim. This year, she is all set to come into her own with a lead role in the Baby spin-off, Naam Shabana. In a no-holdsbarred chat with BT, Taapsee holds forth on why she doesn't fit into the mould of the quintessential Hindi film heroine, her action avatar, empowerment of women and nepotism in Bollywood. Excerpts...

How did you land the role in Naam Shabana?

I didn't zero in on the role, it zeroed in on me. After seeing the response to Shabana (her character in Baby), the makers decided to do come up with a full-fledged film on her. This film is the perfect example of what audiences can do. Naam Shabana was not thought of by the filmmakers, the audiences made them think about it.That's why I always say , `jiska koi nahi hota, uska audience hota hai.' I don't have a Godfather in Bollywood. My audience is my Godfather.

This being an action film, were you worried about getting injured on the set?

Neeraj (Pandey, writer-producer) sir would immediately stop the shoot if he felt that a stunt was tricky or had the potential to go awry . Cyril, the French stuntman who trained me, ensured that all precaution ary measures were in place.

The kind of trouble they take to ensure safety can drive you nuts. I have never gotten injured while shooting for the film. Also, I had trained hard to get into the skin of my charac ter. However, basic bruises and clotting were common.

Were you intimidated by the fact that you were sharing screen space with accomplished actors like Akshay Kumar, Anupam Kher and Manoj Bajpayee?

It was intimidating, as I was surrounded by accomplished actors. I don't get intimidated by the biggest of stars, but when I know that I am sharing my workspace with brilliant actors, it's tough not to be in awe.Neeraj doesn't scream or shout, but his sarcastic one-liners can be potent. It was one of the most serious sets I have ever been a part of. Even the jokes were delivered with a poker straight face. On the other hand, I am somebody who talks a lot and laughs out loud. I think I was the most I dramatic person on the film's set.

Naam Shabana is a female protagonist-driven film and the responsibility of its box-office performance rests on your shoulders. Are you nervous?

The stress and pressure of the film's box-office performance is being taken care of by two pairs of strong shoulders -Akshay Kumar and Neeraj Pandey . I know that the film is in safe hands.

Why did you choose a film that showcases you in an action avatar?

Frankly , I didn't get roles in commercial films after my debut, as there were already many beautiful girls who were doing well in that space.So, I have made the most of the opportunities that I got. I believe there are two ways of going about it.You either accept roles that present you as the most glamourous or desirable person or you do the hard-hitting ones because then, people have no other option but to notice you. I have taken the latter route.

How do you manage to seamlessly traverse diametrically opposite worlds created by directors like David Dhawan and Neeraj Pandey?

I have no qualms in admitting that I am a director's actor. If that gets interpreted as `She doesn't know her job and that's why she relies on the director', so be it. I use my fac ulties to choose the right director and script. After that, I surrender myself to a David Dhawan or a Neeraj Pandey because they are the masters of their respective genres. As far as improvisation is con cerned, I do it when I relate to a character on a person acter on a personal level. On Neeraj sir's sets, it was pretty much by the book as I didn't relate to Shabana on a personal level.

The number of female-centric films that will hit screens this year is staggering. What do you think has changed over the years for this trend to have set in?

Our audiences have changed; they have started watching Hollywood films. There, the number of female protagonist-driven films are high.Writing a film with a woman at the centre of the narrative is a complex process as women have many layers to their personality. If executed well, it makes for good content.

Talking of women, does empower ment mean that they have to protect themselves and not rely on men to come to their aid?

Women have to be their own heroes. They should stop expecting a knight in shining armour to come to their rescue. That's not going to happen. We need to take charge of our own safety and lives. Women should stop seeking permission to live their lives the way they want. We can't keep waiting for approval when it comes to making choices, be it in terms of careers or, for that matter, even something as simple as going on a holiday . We can't keep waiting for approval from husbands and in laws because that's bizarre. Also, women have to stop becoming villains in each other's lives. Women empowerment in the real sense can be achieved only if one woman aims to empower another.

Kangana Ranaut recently spoke out against Bollywood being nepotistic. What's your take?

I am a proud outsider, nobody forced me to come into the industry . I was aware of the nepotism that exists in the industry and even then, I decided to be a part of it. I don't like playing the victim card. There are filmmakers who happily work with outsiders like Shoojit Sircar and Neeraj Pandey . You might lose out on some projects because of nepotism, but some thing else will come your way . You can't eep blaming nepotism for not getting work. I wasn't even pas sionate about acting and probably , that favour worked in my because I didn't see films as the be all and end all of my life. You will get your fair share of work despite having no connections in the industry and I am the living example of that.It is a game and nepotism is part of it. Play your outsider card if you have to.

Taapsee Pannu

taapsee pannu new movie

taapsee pannu husband

shagun pannu

taapsee pannu hd wallpaper

taapsee pannu age

taapsee pannu instagram

taapsee pannu in baby

taapsee pannu sister

No comments:

Post a Comment