Kritika Kamra

I have learnt a lot from my past two relationships, but I'm not cynical about marriage: Kritika Kamra


Kritika Kamra, who has completed a decade in the TV industry, believes in calling a spade a spade. BT recently caught up with the actress for an exclusive chat on sets of her show, and as the conversation unfolded, Kritika got candid about her failed relationships, TV actors' gruelling work schedules and costume dramas on television. Excerpts...
While you are already playing Chandrakanta, Ekta Kapoor is coming up with a new show on the warrior princess on another channel. What do you feel about that?

We will continue to do our work for Prem Ya Paheli --Chandrakanta. People keep asking me why I did not work with Ekta Kapoor on her show, but this one was offered to me first. Obviously , nobody waits when a good offer comes along. Also, if one show works, that plot and subject set a trend for the rest of the shows. That's how TV works.

There are already many costume dramas on television...

Unlike India, in the West, costume dramas are shot in seasons.Unfortunately , we don't work like that.The TV industry is dictated by ratings and a show changes its course according to the weekly feedback that the makers receive. If the script is ready right from the beginning, we can shoot episodes in advance. Even the quality of computer graphics will be better then. But sadly, we shoot till the eleventh hour, which makes it difficult for everyone.

Your previous shows, Reporters and Kuch Toh log Kahenge, didn't work too well in terms of ratings...

Kuch Toh Log Kahenge was an adaptation of a Pakistani show. What do you expect when you stretch a 15-17 episode show into a 100-150 episode drama? Obviously , the quality will suffer. I gave my best to both the shows.

We have heard that unlike other actors, you take a weekly off. How did you manage that?

Last month, I shot for around 25 days.TV is a gruelling medium with long working hours. Even today , my shift timings are from 9 am to 9.30 pm and I reach home by 10.30 pm. I am a single woman living in Mumbai and I need time to do my banking, groceries and basically , manage the house. Even if I choose to delegate my household chores to a domestic help, she can't do everything. Forget chilling and leisure, I think it is a human need to have at least one weekly off in any profession. I am now 10 years old in the industry , so yes, I have worked out a weekly off with my producer. But newcomers don't have that luxury. What if one falls sick? I have also decided to take a break after every show. I need to live my life.

Personally, are you ready for marriage? While you spoke about Karan (Kundra) when you broke up a few years ago, you chose to keep quiet when your second relationship (with a corporate professional) didn't work out...

There is nothing wrong if two relationships in my life didn't work out. I learnt a lot, there is clarity of thought and I am not cynical about marriage.

I agree that it is a tough decision to make. There is so much stress in urban life that you are not able to juggle both -marriage and work life. I believe in marriage and when I get married, I will leave my work. It's impossible to be in a relationship otherwise. I was dating Karan when I was 18 and at that time, I didn't have any issues in admitting to my relationship. Even after we broke up, I found it cool to ride a bike with him and put it out on social media. But after that, I learnt my lesson. After Karan, I never admitted that I was in a relationship, so where is the question of having a break-up? It is better to keep it that way. I don't mind living in with a guy or getting married, but right now, there is no relationship to talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment