CASTING TIGRESS, HIDDEN STAR

CASTING TIGRESS, HIDDEN STAR

Shanoo Sharma, the reclusive casting director who has discovered some of Bollywood’s brightest talent, may look like a diva, but is a little girl at heart

“In Ranveer Singh’s case, I had a gut instinct. He is recognised as my work, now. And your work speaks for you.”

BOLLYWOOD’S BEST-KNOWN casting director Shanoo Sharma is telling me a story: “I was in my Maruti Ertiga, heading for a meeting, when I spotted this beautiful girl on the road in suburban Mumbai. She looked like Salma Hayek: lovely, luscious and hot. I was casting for a rock star. And I thought, wow – here she is! I stopped the car, pointed out the girl, and told my assistants, ‘Go!’ They ran after her.”

Everybody looking for a stairway to stardom has heard of Shanoo Sharma. She’s Aditya Chopra’s most important casting director at Yash Raj Films. And YRF, every wannabe actor knows, is one of the most promising entries to the glitzy world of films. But that’s only after they impress Sharma with their personality and talent. She’s reportedly Bollywood’s most imposing gatekeeper.

Sharma continues: “I’ve spotted talent at pubs, malls, college festivals, salons, coffee shops, gyms, in TV commercials and on stage at the theatre. The next big thing could be the girl in the autorickshaw next to me at the signal. Or the guy in the cigarette shop. I don’t like sitting at the office. My job is to be out, online, seeing what is happening.”

I sense an anticlimax. And here it is, straight from the mouth of Bollywood’s most sought-after casting director: “But that girl wasn’t interested. She was a fashion stylist and didn’t want to become an actor. Disappointed, I told her, ‘Okay, but in case you change your mind...’ It happens sometimes. Everybody is not Ranveer Singh, waiting to be discovered.”

STAR CAST

Yes, Sharma discovered Ranveer Singh. She’s also launched Arjun Kapoor, Alia Bhatt, Parineeti Chopra, Vaani Kapoor, Bhumi Pednekar… the list goes on. And she’s helped Adi Chopra with ensemble casts for big-ticket YRF films such as Sultan, Fan, Ek Tha Tiger, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Mardaani, Gunday and Dhoom 3. Sharma spotted Ranveer at a Mumbai nightspot. YRF wanted a lead opposite Anushka Sharma for its 2010 romantic comedy Band

Baaja Baaraat. Sharma told the studio, “Ranveer’s your man”. YRF’s response was disbelief. “I got so much flak,” she says. “But I was convinced. I wanted to be responsible for Ranveer’s career when he made it big. He auditioned for the role and bagged Band Baaja Baaraat.”

Has Ranveer changed after becoming Bollywood’s next big thing? Without hesitation, Sharma says, “Yes, but only for the better. He calls me in tears to thank me after every award. And I thank him for verifying my instinct. I don’t work with logistics and statistics. I grew up on Peter Pan. I’m into signs and magic. The universe knows what I’m about. In Ranveer’s case, I had a gut instinct. He’s recognised as my work now. And your work speaks for you.”

CASTING A SPELL

We are talking over coffee one rainy evening at her home in Four Bungalows, Andheri. Like Lokhandwala down the road, this is where young Bollywood lives or hangs out. Sharma takes my order for coffee: “Espresso or Cappuccino? What, regular! Black or with milk? How many spoons of sugar?” Just when I think she is going to make the coffee herself, she sends an assistant out to a coffee shop.

She is in pristine white, a flowing kurta and loose pants, and attractively made up with kohled eyes and a large bindi on her forehead. She has on a nose ring, big silver earrings, a swinging necklace and heavy bangles. She jingles and jangles when she moves.

I think she looks imperiously feminine. More like a diva than a casting director. Ranveer was right when he said Shanoo’s a star. She can be at a party full of top Bollywood actors and directors, but Shanoo will be the centre of attraction, she will own the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment