Gulki Joshi

All a protagonist does on television is apply glycerine and shed copious tears: Gulki Joshi


Actress Gulki Joshi, who was last seen on Piyaa Albela, has been signed on for a film, Nakkash. She says, “I play a supporting and loving wife to a sculptor (nakkash). The production house had previously backed a film, which was critically acclaimed, but didn’t do well commercially. That could be the case with this film as well, but I am prepared for it. I want to act, rather than behave like a star.”

Though Gulki became a household name with Phir Subah Hogi (PSH), the show’s success didn’t materialise into anything bigger. She agrees, “I didn’t get the kind of offers I had expected after PSH, but I am also very selective about work. Besides, I want a work-life balance. I like to travel, and agar poora time kaam karungi, toh life kab jeeyoongi? I may not have turned out to be the next big thing on TV, but I know that eventually, I will be there.”


Ask her if the lack of offers could have something to do with her unconventional looks and Gulki replies, “Before I bagged PSH, I would be told at auditions that a role is not for me because I am dusky and I look unconventional. Though I developed selfdoubts, I got rid of that feeling soon after. Now, I am glad that I am not doing what many fair-skinned girls are doing on TV. I don’t fight to fit that bill, I want to be offered characters that no one else can pull off. I played the protagonist on a couple of shows and was bored of it. All a protagonist does on TV is apply glycerine and shed copious tears. I am open to doing strong character roles. Sadly, in India, acting-oriented roles are labelled as character roles and actors get slotted in that category. Fortunately, the perception is changing for the better now. As opposed to my initial days, I am getting offered different roles and I am happy about it.”

Gulki says that she is confused about taking up a TV show now. She shares, “I really don’t know what to do with all these daayans, chudails, crocodiles and makdis on TV. I am confused. I was offered the role of a shape-shifting crocodile in an episode of a show, which I turned down. I will do such a show only if I am offered insane amount of money.”

No comments:

Post a Comment