Interview of Caralisa Monteiro

I HAVE NEVER DONE THINGS THAT DON'T KEEP ME HAPPY



Caralisa Monteiro on being a self-taught singer, on advertising and singing Sha Sha Sha Mi Mi Mi for Shamitabh
How did Sha Sha Sha... happen? R Balki (director of Shamitabh) called me one day to say he needed me to sing. I have known him and Gauri (Shinde) for a really ong time, as I have worked in a number of ad campaigns with them. So, I assumed he was conceptualising a new campaign and hence had called me in person. But as it turned out, he wanted me to sing this amazing, quirky song. There was a scratch laid out. Balki always knows what he wants. He called me because he wanted what I could offer in terms of the voice.Raja sir (composer Ilaiyaraaja) is a humble genius who always knows very specifically what he wants down to the last inflection.Sha Sha Sha... was something I just sang in my voice and brought my soul to it.Everything else was already laid out by Raja sir and Balki.How was it singing for Akshara Haasan?
I never got to meet Akshara Haasan before I sang for her. I was told to make the song peppy. As a recording artist, that was not at all the most difficult brief. I have a dozen or more ad films on air right now and if you listen to them, you wouldn't be able to say this is the same person who sang Sha Sha Sha... This is what recording artists do. We become characters in the booth.
You did some catchy scatting in the opening.

It's thanks to my advertising background. I have done scatting (style of jazz singing where meaningless syllables are sung to a tune) a number of times in several different accents and genres like Middle Eastern, Gothic, Celtic and others.


How different is singing jingles compared to Bollywood songs?

In the past 16 years, I have done over 5,000 ad films as a singer and voiceover artiste.The challenge is staying fresh on every job, which makes film music easier for me. I always follow what is told to me. I am rather intuitive in following the brief laid out to me, and then improvising, if required.
You made your Bollywood singing debut with Jaane Kyon (Dil Chahta Hai). Why didn't you pursue a career in playback back then?

I consciously want to be the best, not the most famous. I have very rarely done competitive singing in school and college, but the six-odd times I have, I have never lost.I have film work and background scores too. It's stuff you might recognise when you hear it, but probably won't know it's me.Most artistes who sing in films follow it up with shows. I follow it up with more advertising. I have never done things that don't keep me happy, not even for insane amounts of money. I received offers after Phir Dekhiye (Rock On!!) as well, but didn't do a single show. It is important for me to keep my soul intact, and I think that's why I have been around for 15 years and not burned out, still enjoying what I do.

How did your musical journey begin?

My father was considered the best bass opera singer in Asia. My mother was also a gifted natural singer and was fondly called the nightingale of Dadar. My sister was like Aretha Franklin, a big black mamma with tons of soul. There was always music around me while growing up -in school, at home and in church. There was music from all over the world being played at home, thanks to my father. I never received any training. I loved Whitney Houston growing up and would play her cassettes over and over and sing along at home. We did not have the greatest means back then and singing was one way of staying happy and expressing ourselves.

What is keeping you busy these days?

I recently released my debut album Illusion.All proceeds from its sale will go directly to help breast cancer patients.





No comments:

Post a Comment