Rahman faces the music for no-show After reneging on a contract to perform live in Mumbai, Rahman’s manager has been slapped with a legal notice


Rahman faces the music for no-show
After reneging on a contract to perform live in Mumbai, Rahman’s manager has been slapped with a legal notice

Oscar-winner AR Rahman was scheduled to perform his first live concert in Mumbai on Sunday. Instead, his concert manager has been served a legal notice for allegedly reneging on a contract to perform, by Miles Ahead Multimedia Private Limited (MMPL).
A complaint of Criminal Breach of Trust (Sec 406), Cheating to the tune of Rs1.10 crore (Sec 420), and Misrepresentation and False Declarations (Sec 199) under the Indian Penal Code have also been filed at Kasaravadavli police station in Thane where the MMPL office is located.
MMPL director Hira Bulani told DNA that he had been dreaming of watching his idol in action since late February, when he heard of the maestro’s desire to perform live in Mumbai. “Little did I know that my dream to get the artiste to perform in Mumbai would be set afire, just like Rahman’s tweet when Subhash Ghai’s Whistling Woods got into trouble.” (‘Another dream on fire’, Rahaman had tweeted).
On discovering that Deepak Gattani’s M/s Rapport Productions Pvt Ltd coordinated all of Rahman’s live performances, Bulani contacted him. “After several rounds of discussions, Gattani confirmed a live stage show with Rahman and a host of singers, musicians and other artistes. Relying on this, my company entered into an agreement dated March 7 to host the concert in Mumbai on May 20,” Bulani told DNA.
Consequently, Gattani sought a security. “My company issued cheques of Rs90 lakh dated March 19, till the time we were able to find event sponsors,” said Bulani. “Once the Brabourne stadium was decided as the venue, a technical team from Rapport Productions went to inspect it on March 31.” By April 6, the sponsors had been finalised, and Gattani reaffirmed his consent. MMPL began their full-scale preparations. “It was then that I got worried as neither Rahman nor Gattani were agreeing to meet me. My fears were proven right when Gattani told me that Rahman wouldn’t come for the concert,” he said.
“As if to add insult to injury, Gattani mailed me to say he had already signed a contract for another show on May 26 at the DY Patil stadium in Navi Mumbai.”
Having made all arrangements for the concert, and unable to retract without huge losses, Bulani says he made frantic attempts to contact Gattani and Rahman but they did not respond. “Even when Rahman was in town for a private concert at NCPA, I tried meeting him to explain the expenditure towards the booking of the CCI Club Lawns, advance payment to vendors, inviting CCI members through handbills as well as my team’s salary. But I was not allowed to meet him at all,” Bulani points out; saying all he wants is justice.
The Mozart from Madras, who is in the US, could not be reached for comment and his manager Noell James said it would be difficult to reach him. Deepak Gattani insisted, “The contract was null and void soon after signing since Bulani could not pay up.” When asked about the cheques given for security he said, “All this is beyond me. Once I get the notice I will look into the matter. Till I get the notice and read it, I can’t say anything.”

No comments:

Post a Comment