I don't have a methodical approach - to life: Zaheer Khan




One of India's finest fast bowlers, Zaheer Khan left his fans heartbroken, when he recently bid goodbye to international cricket. In a chat with Bombay Times, the speedster opens up on the tough decision and much more... Your retirement announcement over the internet evoked a strong reaction.

It was overwhelming. I have had an amazing journey . I am happy and humbled by all the support and wishes that came my way .After all, this (love of the people) is what you cherish as an athlete all your life. Given the massive following cricket enjoys in the country, I am very grateful for all the wonderful memories, especially the 2011 Cricket World Cup.
Why did you choose to break the news on social media?
It's good to connect with people and your well-wishers directly . It's nice to know what they feel and that is why I even wrote the farewell letter.
It went viral and struck a chord.I was just sharing my thoughts. It was about me looking back at my career.Cricket has been my life. It made me who I am today . It was a reflection of my life so far.
Your fans would have loved to give you a hearty send-off.
I thought about it and so I decided that Indian Premier League season 9, which is scheduled next year, will be my last tournament.
Cricket has been your life. Has the decision of retirement sunk in yet?
I never thought it was going to be so tough to take that call. But I am sure it’s the same for any player.
When I woke up the next day, I just had one less thing to think about.
And are you happy with your decision to retire?
I am definitely not going to change my mind (smiles). I just thought the time is right. When the realisation came in, I sat down with my mom, dad, brother and told them. My mother summed it up nicely , “Theek hai, bahut accha safar tha hamara“ (It's fine, our journey has been very good). Her words supported my decision. It made things clear to me. I consulted Sachin Tendulkar and also discussed the retirement with Ajit Agarkar and Ashish Nehra.
The injuries kept chasing you. Was that the main reason?
Not really. I cannot pinpoint any particular reason for my retirement.
Did you feel isolated, towards the lat

ter years of your career?
Not at all. I’ve always enjoyed the challenge. Everyone has been supportive.
It's been said that you often avoided press conferences as you weren't keen to talk to the media.
I never disliked the media. It's my personality. I've always done things that I have felt like doing.
Besides, the focus was always on the game.
What's next?
I don't have a methodical approach to life. I like to have different experi ences. I've been into the hospitality and fitness business for years.
You’ve been one of our finest pace bowlers.
Who among the current lot stands out according to you?
It's a long journey for everyone and a learning process. Umesh Yadav has tremendous potential.
What would be your message to aspiring cricketers?
If you have a dream, believe in it and chase it with all your heart. You have to be committed to it. There is no substitute for hard work and you must know what kind of training works for you, especially for fast bowlers.


No comments:

Post a Comment