Sonam Kapoor admits that her upcoming film Prem Ratan Dhan Payo

IF MEN LIKE MY DAD EXIST IN REAL LIFE, WHY CAN'T THEY EXIST IN REEL LIFE?


Sonam Kapoor admits that her upcoming film Prem Ratan Dhan Payo (PRDP) looks nothing short of a fairytale and yet, beneath the grandeur of it, is a simple story about family values. Drawing inspiration from her close-knit family, Sonam talks to Bombay Times about her father Ani Kapoor, who is an ideal man why her on-screen characters are never an extension of her image and how kalyug is instrumental in eroding family values. Excerpts from our chat.... 
 
You said at the trailer launch that it is a privilege to be a Rajshri heroine. How did it come about?
Sooraj Barjatyaji liked my performance in Raanjhanaa. It released in June 2013 and I got a call in July saying that they are considering me for this role.Soorajji wanted me in the film and they were discussing it with Salman. They told me not to mention it to anyone. There were reports of every heroine supposedly doing the film, but in my head, I knew it was me. I just didn't talk about it then. I was confirmed around January . Soorajji really wanted me in the film and was sure that I suited the part.

Do you think you have upped your game with PRDP?
I feel that every movie ups your game and helps you grow. It is definitely a huge privilege to be part of the film. Gauging success based on numbers is an oldfashioned way of looking at things. I am not someone who chases things like that. It's all about having a good experience and learning something with every project. I wanted to do this film to learn something new. I wanted to know if I fit the bracket and I really appreciated Soorajji's faith in me.The very fact that I was his first choice was humbling. There is nothing wrong in being the second or the third choice, but when you know you are the first choice and the director has really fought for you to be in the film, for me, that just shows how much he believed I was right for the part. I wanted to reciprocate with a similar level of commitment. With every film, I learn and get better.

There is a certain image of a Rajshri heroine and you are more outspoken and bold. How was it pulling off the demure character?
What I am in my personal life is never reflected in my movies. Whether it's Saawariya, Delhi-6, Raanjhanaa or Mausam, they all reflect my varied choices. I am not a girl from Benaras, Kashmir or Chandni Chowk. Neither am I the South Delhi girl Aisha. I am Anil Kapoor's daughter, who has lived in Juhu all her life. An image is not a reflec tion of your character. If you see my fil mography , I consciously never played my image in my films.

Yours is a close-knit family. Did that make it easier for you to gel easily?

My dad has never worked with Rajshri Productions. One of his first films was Ek Baar Kaho in which he was associat ed with the production house, but that wasn't a lead role. Shabanaji (Azmi) saw him in that movie and that's how his career took off. He didn't have much of a professional relationship with them. But when you are from the same fraternity , you know the family and how they bond with each other. Soorajji saw the connec tion when it came to casting me, despite not working with my father. He saw the kind of relationship we have with our family members and the way I have been brought up. I have kept my personal life pristine and private and I am close with my sister, brother and parents. All these things played catalysts in my casting, added to the fact that he liked my performances in my films Mausam and Raanjhanaa.

Sooraj said that to make a family film, you have to be a family. What was a typical day like on the set of this film?
We were always shooting. When you are working with Salman Khan, every day with him is precious. There has never been a day where I had the luxury of wasting time. But, we would always have lunch with Salman and the whole unit used to eat together. It was very happy and positive on set, sans any drama.Everybody was there because they believed in the film and the reason why we are making it. It's been an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Do you think Sooraj Barjatya-kind of heroes exist?
I do believe such men exist. I have grown up watching one of them -my dad (Anil Kapoor). He is an ideal husband, father, son and brother. I don't think anyone has done more for their family and people around as much as him. So, if people like my dad exist in real life, why can't they exist in reel life?
In this new-age cinema, do you think the audience will resonate with the theme of this film?
Drama is a part of cinema. Raanjhanaa might be melodramatic but it was a dramatic film. Just because you are wearing black kurta with denims does not make you look real. There is a certain way of telling stories and if there is honesty in any story , no matter what the medium of communication, it will work.

Are you going to call Charlie Chaplin melodramatic or old-fashioned?
His films are still relevant. It's not about old or new, but cinema is heightened reality . Do you think Ramleela is not relevant today? It's a perception and that too, a wrong one. What is said honestly always resonates with people. Such demarcations are not a fair way of looking at things. Is the idea of love, family , truth relevant today? Of course it is and will always be.

What's your takeaway from the film?
Kalyug is eroding all our positive values.
This is what my nani keeps saying. All the idealism we've shown in the film makes sense. No matter how messed up your family is, in the end, they are important.
You don't get to choose your family . They are your blood and their love will always be unconditional and they will forgive you no matter what you do. I think as far as Indian culture is concerned, these values still hold true, even though in cities, things are fast changing. We are so removed from what is actually around.
We are always on the internet, laptop, phone and social networking sites. I am guilty of doing that as well. There is no real connect with people at all, even fami ly. I know when I am at a party, 60% people are on the phone and seeing the party through their phone as opposed to having real connections or conversations. The film reinstated these values in me and that is my biggest takeaway from it.



No comments:

Post a Comment