`DIDN'T LET MY PARENTS, KIDS WATCH BIGG BOSS'



As the city celebrates No TV Day, super-star Salman Khan blasts his own reality show, urges fans to go outdoors, beyond their TV sets Today, there is no news to begin with. Whatever they show as news is violent, at times obscene and senseless. I'd rather switch off.
--Actor Salman Khan

On Hindustan Times' No TV Day, as the city gears up to hit the road, comes a word of advice and caution from India's top super-star.
One of the costliest Bollywood imports on TV, actor Salman Khan tells his fans to refrain from watching too much TV. He's not too impressed with the content on his own reality show either. “I've always told my audience that if they don't like my work they shouldn't spend even half a rupee on my movies. TV comes for free so they invest their time and energy on kitchen-sink dramas and reality shows. That's a heinous crime, unpardonable!“ rants Salman.
The 46-year-old actor would like people to switch off their TV sets once in a while and engage in other activities that give them pleasure. When he's not shooting, Salman likes to take off to his Panvel farmhouse with family and friends. “Working out, cycling and painting are other ways to rejuvenate myself after a hard day's work. I'm not much of a party person but I love having my friends over at home,“ he says. “There's so much to do, you don't need to have the TV on 365 days a year.“
The Bollywood star who shot only five episodes of Bigg Boss in Season 5 entered the House and subtly warned the contestants to water down the `violence' on display. “I'm pretty shorttempered too but I've learnt to control my anger in public.
The channel could have easily edited my entry since it could have worked against the show. The fights were probably getting them ratings but they didn't,“ points out Salman, adding that even his Twitter page was full of negative reactions to the everyday fights.
He adds, “I didn't even let my parents and the youngsters at home watch it.
Pregnant women and old people too didn't tune in because of the heated arguments that also got personal.
I was fed up of hearing about the `nagging wives' in the House. I had to go in and do my bit to salvage a show that my mother (Salma) has been a fan of since season one. She didn't watch it this year.“
The box-office king admits as a kid he enjoyed watching TV a lot more than he does today. He recalls waiting for Phool Khile Hain Gulshan Gulshan, Buniyaad, Babban Prabhu,Tenali Rama, Chhayageet, news capsules and movies.
“The news was black-nwhite then but it made sense because it was news and not some farce. My brothers, my sister and I would wait for the Sunday movie on Doordarshan,“ recalls Salman. “Today, there is no news to begin with. What they show as news is violent, at times obscene and senseless. I'd rather switch off!“

No comments:

Post a Comment