Mamta Sharma on the tag associated with those singing racy dance tracks

AN ITEM SINGER IS TREATED LIKE A ‘BAI’

Mamta Sharma on the tag associated with those singing racy dance tracks, faking a bitchy attitude and why she’ll be happy doing item numbers all over the world

Tell us about yourself. I am from Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh. My mother completed her graduation in music and would take tuitions from a teacher who heard me mimic her. He told my mom to send me for jaagrans and orchestras. I began my career at age 11, modulating my voice and mimicking singers. I have had no official training. I listen to Lataji and Ashaji's songs and practise them. They are institutions in themselves. I consider Ashaji my guru. I came to Mumbai in 2000 and struggled for nine years before I landed up with Munni Badnaam Hui. 

Chart your struggle in those nine years. I am an ordinary singer and would often feel that if talented singers find it difficult to get a break in Bollywood, how would I manage? It was difficult initially, as I didn’t have a godfather or other support. When you from a small city, you often brim with confidence. It’s only when you come across the real situation, you realise how difficult it is. I lived at the institution where I
pursued music, then moved to a working woman’s hostel but had to leave it soon as I couldn’t adhere to
their timings. Finally, I shifted as a paying guest at a house owned by Ashraf Ali, who is now my husband. Moreover, I was of the opinion that stage shows would be a great way to reach out to the music directors, but was soon proved wrong. No music director takes the singers of stage shows seriously as there are other things distracting you all the time. It was in 2009 during a tour with Jatin-Lalit that Lalitji asked me to meet him. I thought he didn’t mean it seriously and said it in passing. However, a few days later, I called to congratulate him for his composition in a TV show and he reminded me of our pending meeting. We met the same day and Munni Badnaam Hui happened. 

Tell us about your husband Ashraf. My husband is my biggest support, guiding force and my backbone. He is also the co-lyricist of Fevicol Se (with Sajid-Wajid) and Pinky (with Shabbir
Ahmed). I’ve know him
since 2005 and we got married in 2011. He never forced

    me to convert. I did it on my own. I haven’t changed my name and don’t even wish to as I want every bad and good to be credited to my real name. 

Do people get shocked to see you in real life? People get shocked to see me in real life as they perceive me to be a total dehati because of my songs — Munni Badnam Hui and Fevicol Se. I was asked to sing Munni in a nasal tone with a little dehati touch. And my name only adds to the confusion. They think a woman named Mamta will be like those aunties who sing at jaagrans. They think of me as Mamta Maiya. 

Why did it take you so long to break away from the item songs zone? Don’t you think I have achieved a lot already? It’s hardly been three years and I am getting a lot of offers. I don’t have any regrets or complaints... I can sing in 11-12 languages. I am proud of my songs and I feel I have achieved a lot in so little time. My
songs are being played over and over again. I feel I should get all the item numbers across the world. I feel lucky as I am only three years old in the industry and I already have six to seven hit numbers to my credit. I would like to add that an item song is like the much-needed salt in food. That being said, who doesn’t dream of singing for a big banner? 

Item songs are often looked down upon. Comment... One has to understand that when you are in a mood to dance, you perform to item numbers and not sad, slow numbers. Unfortunately, item singers are treated like ‘bais’ and mellow singers are like caretakers of the house. What people fail to realise is that it’s more difficult to attempt an item number as the whole attitude towards the song undergoes a transformation. You have to have a bitchy attitude and you have to fake it, which can be really difficult. You need the ‘desi-pan’ in your voice while attempting an item song. I think that’s what pulled people to Munni and Fevicol. You can’t use polished diction for such songs. The lyrics ought to be
funny, but not vulgar or else it won’t be liked by the class. Also, you won’t be comfortable hearing it with family. I tried to be as clear as possible with the lyrics. 

How did the title song of Krrish 3 happen? I received a call from Rajeshji (Roshan). I was shocked initially and asked him twice if he has heard my songs. He told me yes he had and sees a different potential in me. I’m honoured to be associated with his movie. 

Who are the music composers you look up to? I like Sajid-Wajid as they make you feel very comfortable. They make you feel as if it’s your own song and you are the captain. They correct you very subtly. I love Pritam dada’s work too. I keep asking him to offer me a song. I also like Anu Malik. Believe it or not, he can compose four to five songs at the same time.
Your upcoming projects...
I’ve sung a Vishal-Shekhar song for Gori Tere Pyaar Mein, which has a Western touch to it and I have sung a few lines in English in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment