EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE HAS BROUGHT ME TO THIS MOMENT. THIS IS WHERE I BELONG: JANHVI







She comes from great stock, growing up in a family that’s flourished in Indian cinema for generations. The fact that Sridevi and Boney Kapoor’s gorgeous girl Janhvi brings a lot of promise is unquestionable. She has that rawness and spark that’s attractive; and even with all the hoopla around her debut, the girl has her head on her shoulders and her feet firm on the ground. With the whole Kapoor khandaan, along with ardent Sridevi fans rooting for her, you would imagine that this 21-year-old debutante would be a bundle of nerves. But she is evidently not. With her grand launch, Dhadak, starring Ishaan and directed by Shashank Khaitan, coming up for release this week, the poised and pretty Janhvi who is boarding her flight to stardom, tells us that, “Cinema is the only thing that I know and it is the only thing that I’ve been exposed to my whole life.” Open your heart out and welcome her on board…

The spotlight has been on you for a while now; you have been posing for the paps and the camera follows you almost everywhere you go.But with Dhadak,you are engaging with the media for the first time. How has that experience been? Was this also a part of your debut prep?


It has been fun, and during the course of the promotions, sometimes you meet interesting people, and engage in some conversations that make you think. Of course, I don’t think I am very good at all this, and I don’t have much to say at this point beyond telling people to watch my film. If people like my work, then I will earn the right to talk about myself. There was no real prep that I went through to interact with the media. However, I would like to say that I want to portray who I am in front of them. Yes, at times I am not comfortable at media interactions, but it is human to let that show. I am not perfect and I think it is fine being that way. I am trying to be myself and I want to be as real as I can.

Being in the limelight is something you have grown up with, like attending events and parties with your parents (Sridevi and Boney Kapoor). Did that help you ease into this space?

It was about the way we were as a family; Khushi and I would always attend events with mom and dad. If mom was performing or getting an award somewhere, or dad was shooting, we would make it a family affair. I happened to be with my parents on these occasions, hence, I was exposed to the media. People thought that my parents were pushing me into the limelight, but it was nothing like that. If Manish Malhotra was having a fashion show, I just wanted to go and see it. The purpose was just that.


JANHVI KAPOOR

‘I FEEL CLOSER TO MOM WHEN I AM ON A FILM SET, BUT IT’S ALSO THE PLACE WHERE I DON’T NEED HER TO BE AROUND’

Your understanding of the industry must be deeper and probably more practical and realistic, right? Your mom was a superstar, who had her own fascinating journey and your dad is a producer of high credibility, hence, you have closely seen two different aspects of the film business...

I am very thankful for the environment that I have grown up in and I have so much to learn from it. My mom was such a fine actress and I think my dad is one of the most creative producers. He doesn’t just think business, instead, he works with a lot of heart. Through the years, I have seen the kind of stress and struggle producers have to go through, and it has given me a perspective. It made me understand how to behave and what not to do. There is huge value to being professional in this industry. For me, normal life is talking about cinema and art. Cinema is the only thing that I know and it is the only thing that I have been exposed to my whole life.

I am assuming that cinema was a huge part of conversations at home? Do you all have different tastes in the kind of movies you like to watch as an audience?

As a family, we all have had different tastes in cinema. Mom and Khushi would love watching animated movies all the time. After school, our evenings were always reserved for the three of us to watch movies. We would fight, as I would want to watch some old classic, while Khushi wanted to watch Hollywood movies like Tarzan. I feel like I was born in the wrong era, as I am fascinated with classics, Indian and Hollywood. Some of our Indian classics have such a different charm, they are films, which are progressive and ahead of their times. Recently, I was watching Mr & Mrs 55 (1955) starring Madhubala and Guru Dutt, and in that era, the film talks about feminism. Of course, that apart, I think Madhubala is pure magic, and I am so obsessed with whatever she does that I think I could marry her. Even films like Mother India (1957), Pakeezah (1972) and Chaalbaaz (1989) were ahead of their time. Interestingly, these movies never had the tag of women-centric films, they were just known as good films. I hope we can get to that place in today’s times. As for mom, she has done so many films and she truly admired some great films, but when it came to watching movies, she loved fantasy films, animation and thrillers. In that sense, she was a child at heart.

Did you always aspire to be an actress? In your head, did you often play out that moment of your life when you would see yourself on the big screen?

As a child, I didn’t think of being an actor, even my mom didn’t want me to. However, I think in my head I already thought that I was an actor. In my school days, people would think that I was schizophrenic, because I would make up these wack stories. I remember, calling up my friend and saying that I am a secret agent and that I need to spy on someone in school. They would believe me. Once I told my friends that Shakira has flown down to Mumbai to personally teach me belly dancing, so now, I can teach all of you. My friends’ parents called up mom and asked, ‘You got Shakira down? How is she? That’s so cool, could you send Janhvi home so she can teach my daughter’. My mom would be amused by all my stories. I was like this comedy character at home.

So, tell us about your first shot, and your first day on the set of Dhadak.That moment must have extremely special and unforgettable, right?

On our first day, we shot smaller scenes, but I think that by the time we were there, we were all raring to go. Being in front of the camera was a euphoric feeling. It felt like everything in my life has brought me to this moment. And all that I have done has added up to this. On my first day on the set, I felt… this is where I belong.

Did your mom and dad drop in on the sets often?

They were there on the first day. I was comfortable around everyone; I would only get nervous around mom. So, I told her that I can’t have you around here. Khushi dropped by for two days in Jaipur, and mom came during the shoot of the song Zingaat again. Even Anshula didi came for one day. I wanted to be by myself while shooting for Dhadak. I have been handheld by my family through most things in life, for this one, I wanted to be on my own. This (acting) is the only thing I know how to do without my mom. However, ironic that might sound. The (movie) set life, is the only thing that I don’t associate with her. Yes, I feel closer to her when I am on a film set, but it’s also the place where I feel that I don’t need her to be around.

When you have someone like Karan Johar taking you under his wing and mentoring you, I’m sure that gives you a sense of security and confidence, right?

The thing that I like the most about Karan is that, there is a personal involvement and he makes me feel at home. I know that I can count on him and he has this wonderful ability to make you feel like you are the most important person in the world. Dhadak is the biggest blessing of my life. I am so fortunate to also have Shashank Khaitan as my first director, as he creates such great energy on the set.

Your co-star Ishaan is one film old, but he comes across as super confident. Did he help you ease in to your character?

Well, he is comforting in a lot of ways and he brings such great energy on the set that it feels amazing. Ishaan is so unbelievably talented. I have seen his first film about three-four times and I think it is unheard of for an actor to give such a brilliant performance in his first film.

Your mom was very concerned about the fact that you will be compared to her. In an interview with BT, she said, “When Janhvi does her first film, she will be raw, so we have to give her that kind of space. People should judge her as an individual, instead of comparing her with me. My journey has been long. So, it will be unfair to compare a girl who is just starting out her career to someone with a huge body of work.” Your reaction?

Earlier I didn’t think much about it, but now, I am being constantly asked about it. I am fully aware that whatever mom has achieved is untouchable. Well, 300 films isn’t a joke. I think each film is a lifetime of experience, so imagine how many lifetimes that is. She has got so much love and given so much back, so I really want to make all her fans happy. I want to make my parents proud and I am also absolutely in love with what I am doing. Acting is not a selfish profession, you can love it as much as you want, but eventually, other people need to love your acting. I just hope that they do. The only thing that I can promise to do is, work honestly and give it all that I have.

In your family, who is the most anxious about your launch?

Mom was very anxious, but papa is very chilled out and so is Arjun bhaiyya. Anshula didi and Khushi are the two people that I go to if I need a reality check or if I need to calm down. They are very honest and blunt, and they tell me things as they are.

Talking about family, it is great to see how the entire family has come together; all of you (Arjun, Anshula, Khushi, dad and you) have become a solid support system for each other.

Touchwood! My family gives me strength and courage. (Pauses)… I get emotional when I talk about them. Khushi and I are very different. I am the kid in our family, and everyone treats her as the more responsible and independent one. I am the one that needs to be babied, and my mom shared that equation with me. She liked to baby me, as she knew that Khushi was too independent. I would tell her… mamma khana chahiye, mamma ni-ni nahin aa rahi hai. I am still like that, and now Khushi and papa have stepped into that role. My whole family has supported me so much; I want to really make them proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment