I prefer playing mother to a son than a daughter: Gurdip Punjj




Many actresses might have reservations about playing mothers on screen, but not Gurdip Punjj, who was last seen on Sethji. Having played mom in her previous shows, she doesn’t mind repeating the act on TV. She says, “I can’t keep waiting for a mature love story to come my way. Roles should be written for senior actresses as well.”

Gurdip is all set to make her debut in the historical genre with Anirudh Pathak’s TV adaptation of Mughal-EAzam, in which she will play queen Jodha.


The actress will be playing mom to Shaheer Sheikh,who is just a few years younger to her. Ask her if she was apprehensive about playing mother to a grown-up actor and she replies, “Not at all. I have no such qualms. Though the age difference isn’t much, I have worked for more years than Shaheer. People have seen me mature as an actor, so they offer me roles keeping that in mind. Also, this is a historical show and we know that women would get married at an early age back then. It’s a strong character and I am too excited to play the part. I am a mother of two in real life and so, maternal love comes naturally to me. That makes it easier to portray my character with conviction.”

Interestingly, Gurdip prefers playing mother to a son on screen. She explains, “I prefer playing mother to a son than a daughter. That’s because a mom’s track often ends abruptly on shows after the daughter’s marriage. I think about all these aspects before taking up a role.”

No comments:

Post a Comment