Joan Smalls opens up about racism struggle


Joan Smalls says she has been ‘refused opportunities’ because of the colour of her skin. The model admits her Puerto Rican heritage has made it tough for her in the fashion industry but she refuses to let it hold her down. She said, “Yes, I have been refused opportunities for the colour of my skin and that’s unfortunate and very narrow-minded. But I never let that hold me down. I’ve surrounded myself with creative individuals who see beauty for what it is.”

She added, “Your race, colour or creed is what’s beautiful and being inclusive of all. It is an uphill battle that people do not see behind closed doors, emails and when brands just think of filling a stereotype or using a model as a convenient marketing strategy. It’s about pushing through all the negative noise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment