The real hero is the one who rises above obstacles: Diljit Dosanjh




Portraying a hockey captain on screen with conviction is no mean feat, and it becomes even more difficult when the role is essayed by someone who has never followed any sport off screen. Singer-actor Diljit Dosanjh, who played Sandeep Singh, the former captain of India’s hockey team, in the sports biopic Soorma, would agree.

He says, “I have never followed any sport in my life, I was always into music. So, portraying Sandeep Singh was challenging for me. Initially, I was hesitant to accept the role, because I was worried if I would get the body language right. But, now, after seeing people appreciate the film, I feel that good content is always liked by the masses.”


Ask Diljit what exactly about Sandeep Singh resonated with him and he replies, “The story was more about how he overcame a difficult situation (of being shot in a freak incident) and made a comeback into the game. I think we all face situations in life, where we are not sure if we will be able to make it. I have been through such experiences and for me, the real hero is the one who rises above obstacles. That’s what connected me with the character.”

Even as he is enjoying the accolades he is receiving from every quarter, the actor has another reason to celebrate. After Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan and many other prominent celebs, Diljit’s statue is all set to be installed at Madame Tussauds in Delhi, making him the first Sikh artiste to be honoured so. He says, “It’s a proud moment for me. I had never imagined that one day, my statue would be installed at Madame Tussauds. Now, my Delhi fans can ‘see’ me whenever they want (laughs!).”

On a parting note, we ask him about his future plans and he says, “I am what I am today because of my music. I got roles in Bollywood only because I sang well. I am not competing with anyone, I just want to focus on good music, content-driven films and do well in life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment