‘I would love to direct a Bollywood film!’ …says National award-winner Prosenjit, as he reveals his Bollywood plans; also talks about the desire to act even after three decades of stardom

‘I would love to direct a Bollywood film!’
…says National award-winner Prosenjit, as he reveals his Bollywood plans; also talks about the desire to act even after three decades of stardom

National award winning actor Prosenjit Chatterjee, who has had several trysts with Bollywood in the past, made quite an impact with his latest outing in Shanghai. Having signed two more films since, the actor reveals that he now plans to focus on Hindi films just as much as on Bengali cinema. “I have enjoyed stardom to the hilt, now I want to reinvent myself as an actor. I have left that zone and don’t want to be a part of any race. All I’m looking for is sensible cinema that would challenge me further out of my comfort zone. And why just Hindi, I would love to do a Marathi film or a South film too,” says Prosenjit. In a freewheeling chat, the actor also reveals his plans of directing in Bollywood, even though he insists that shifting to the city is not on his mind. The excerpts:

A top star in Bengali cinema. What is it that draws you to Bollywood?
Well, the draw is simply the content. I think it’s a great time for any actor to be here, as filmmakers are increasingly focussing on sensible content while striking a balance commercially in the mainstream. I too am looking to do something different from what I have ever done before. Offers have always been there, but it’s probably for the first time that I am attracted by multiple offers at the same time.

A lot of films from the South are being remade here, any of your films from Bengal that you would want to see made in Hindi?
There are lots, and I would love to co-produce them too. I would love to remake my film Autograph here, though I would not cast myself. But I am looking at co-producing some good subjects here.

What about directing?
Yes, that is also something I have on mind. I do want to direct a Bollywood film.

You are acting in Jaffna and Sujoy Ghosh’s next with Vidya Balan… Any plans to shift base here?
Well, Jaffna yes, but it’s too early to talk about Sujoy’s film. As for me shifting, no I don’t see that happening. I am doing Bollywood, but not giving up Bengali cinema (smiles).

You have completed nearly three decades in the film industry. What keeps you motivated?
The idea is to keep challenging yourself with each film, because the passion remains unchanged. You know, I still treat myself as a newcomer when shooting. So each shot that I give, I take it as my first shot. Today having achieved so much, I feel like I have nothing to lose. I want to take risks, experiment… I want to rediscover myself, and in that the region of cinema is no bar for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment