RIDHI DOGRA

Ridhi Dogra
Ridhi Dogra
‘Actors should refuse to do illogical things’

TV shows are often criticised for being regressive, but Ridhi Dogra feels that it is these shows that drive TRPs and therefore, channels and makers have no choice but to cater to audience’s demand. The actress, who has done shows like Woh Apna Sa, Maryada: Lekin Kab Tak? and Savitri, says that she has refused many shows in the past because she was not okay with the way her character was being portrayed on screen. She has even demanded changes in the script whenever she felt it was required. Giving an example from Woh Apna Sa, she says, “I was playing a negative character in the show. There was a sequence where my character was supposed to get goons to throw acid on the female protagonist, but I put my foot down.”

Ridhi adds, “I told the channel that I was not okay with it doing this, I will not do it. I am an actor, I should be doing what I am told, but I think times are changing, and we, as actors, have certain responsibilities and should take a stand. It was a big problem for the channel and they tried to convince me saying that we would show something really nice after this, but I told them that it is not cool, we are giving people ideas. They finally had to change the scene.”


Ridhi tells us that in the initial phase of her career, she went to audition for Sasural Simar Ka, but walked out when she was told that she would have to cover her head with a pallu on the show. “We all know how successful that show was! When I was called for auditions, I was told that my character will always be with a pallu on her head, and I didn’t agree to do that. These are things that work on TV and makers just create content to meet that demand. There are some progressive shows too, but if you would ask me what the majority audience likes, I would say they still like female characters being portrayed in a certain way,” she says. Ridhi adds that like her, there are other actors also who now question things that don’t make sense to them. “One thing which I am very particular about is my night look in fiction shows. This is something that I ask people on the set before I even start working on a show. I don’t want to be seen sleeping in lehengas, saris and make-up on my shows. When I ask the crew about my night look, they realise that this is something they didn’t think about, as there is so much to do while one is working on daily soaps. I think it is high time that actors started refusing to do illogical things. It is not easy though, as there are times when you suggest something to improve your own performance, and the director is like, ‘Tujhe hi toh Oscar milega iske liye’,” says Ridhi.

Over the years, the actress has been selective about her work on TV and says that she is waiting to make her film debut, but will not compromise on the role. “The day I get a good role in films, I will do it. I don’t want to do any role just because I am offered a film,” she says.

No comments:

Post a Comment