Vikas Sethi

The industry didn’t throw me out, I did that to myself: Vikas Sethi

Comebacks are not easy, but Vikas Sethi, one of the most loved bad boys of Indian television, is a man of new beginnings. It happened five years ago and is happening again.

The actor has reinvented himself and is raring to be back in action. Vikas tells us, “Mine wasn’t a break, it was more like fading into oblivion. But now, I am waiting to make a comeback. I am more focussed — I have changed my looks and lost weight. Yes, I have made mistakes, but isn’t that human? If I had known that those mistakes would cost me my career, I would have avoided them. But now, I am positive and in a happy space. I am also getting a good response from people.”


Vikas, who used to be counted among the fittest faces on television, lost focus and eventually, started getting cast as older characters. “Look, I was 21 then. Now, I work out rigorously every day and always carry a skipping rope with me. I have realised that if you are not fit, you will get cast as older characters. A lot has happened in my life. Honestly, the industry didn’t throw me out, I threw myself out,” he explains.

The actor admits that the lull in his career was frustrating.

He shares, “It was a tough and frustrating phase. It wasn’t just about being out of work, but I was also facing difficulties on the personal front. I was suffering monetarily and was clinically depressed. I also realised that there are no permanent friends in this industry, more so when you hit a rough patch. Friends who would stand outside my home, requesting me to party with them, distanced themselves when I wasn’t doing anything.

However, I am fortunate to have a supportive family, especially my wife Jhanvi and brother Vishal, who helped me sail through. Vishal was by my side while I was fighting to come back and my wife is my driving force at the moment.”

Like most of his peers, Vikas, too, has faced the brunt of the changes in the TV industry. Established faces are mostly cast for cameos to avoid escalating the budget. He says, “I think many people are apprehensive about approaching me, because they think that I come with a high price. All I want to say is, money isn’t important at this point. I just want to establish myself again. I want to be back with a strong negative character, as I feel that I have a flair for it. I know I’m going to be back soon and it is going to be one of the best comebacks.”

The actor, who has had a chequered career, has a message for aspiring actors. “Work hard and don’t lose focus. Success can take you to heights, but sustaining that position requires a lot of courage and focus; that’s what I lost. If you lose even a bit of spark, you will become history,” he signs off.

No comments:

Post a Comment