Honeymoon? hopefully soon! Newly-wed actors, Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia D’Souza dropped by After Hrs on Monday. Excerpts from the chat-a-thon

Honeymoon? hopefully soon!
Newly-wed actors, Riteish Deshmukh and Genelia D’Souza dropped by After Hrs on Monday. Excerpts from the chat-a-thon
Most couples want to take a break after wedding, but you guys are all over the place...
Genelia: We didn't have a choice.
Riteish: Yes, I'd love to have a break right now, to chill out. But right now we are promoting the film and we are together. If probably she was the only one, or I was the only one promoting it, it would have affected us because I'd be left alone or vice versa. The fact that we are spending time together while we are travelling helps… we do understand the commitment that goes to the film.
G: Also, Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya is a film that's taken us eight years to sign together. So it is special.
R: True. We were offered quite a few films together but they were like multi-starrers, or not much screen space. We thought why dilute the beauty of our first film together? And if this one wouldn't have happened, we wouldn't have worked together.

How did you handle link ups before marriage?
G: See, it was very frivolous. And it died eventually. There was nothing that grew on because they were just rumours. You're talking to your co-star and the person present there will create a story. Two people in the film industry are not treated with the same equation that you'd have in an office.
R: Most important for us was to understand each other. And once you do, everything else doesn't matter. For example, there were so many articles written about my sexuality. And I have been asked about it in interviews too, but what can you do? And it was like, ‘Oh you’re not seeing anyone — which I obviously was lying about — so you’re gay (laughs). At first it used to bother me. The first time I was asked this was by a girl who had come to interview me for a magazine. I was in a state of shock. Okay, ‘Are you gay?’ she asked me. And I was like… what do I say? So I say no I am not. So the headline of the article was, ‘No, I’m not gay.’ And next time I go out, I was hounded that ‘Magazine mein humne aisa padha hai... aapko kya kehna hai.’ So, you know, it took me like a year to get over it. Then, me, Sajid (Khan) and other friends, we just joked about it and decided to not bother.

(To Genelia) How did you take that?
G: (Laughs) I was very cool about all this. I think it’s very silly. Like I know him, I know he’s not gay!
R: She was like... should I give a statement saying you are not gay... (laughs)

Do you have to be extra careful because of your political background?
R: I try to take care of whatever
I say. I am on Twitter now. Because eventually, if you come from a political background it certainly comes back to you, and because I’m an actor, what I say will be highlighted more. So my tweets are very general, the only comment I made about elections was with regard to my brother, who won the Zilla Parishad elections. And that was the only Zilla Parishad with the highest number of voters for Congress. Otherwise I never tweet anything political.

No comments:

Post a Comment