Do TV stars hide their marriages because it affects their stardom and fan base?

Do TV stars hide their marriages because it affects their stardom and fan base?

I don’t think people care
if I am married or not. They will either like or not
like my work
—Actor Barun Sobti
What do TV actors Angad Hasija, Mahhi Vij, Jay Bhanushali, Sara Khan and Ali Merchant have in common? They all hid their marriages from their fans and the media. The new trend among television stars today is to keep their marriage under wraps.
Angad Hasija Many aren’t aware that Barun Sobti, of Star Plus’ Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon, is married. Mahhi Vij and Jay Bhanushali were dating for two years when rumours of them being secretly married came about, which they denied. However, early this year, they had a proper engagement and a low-key marriage ceremony, putting an end to rumours. Sara Khan of Bidaai fame hid her marriage to Ali Merchant and later got married to him in a dramatic fashion on the TV show Bigg Boss Season 4. But before that, Ali’s parents had reportedly revealed that they were already married. Angad Hasija of Bidaai fame broke the news of his marriage only after his debut show became a hit. Pulkit Samrat hid his marriage before his debut film released.
What is the reason for keeping marriage a secret? Actors believe that marriage means losing out on their fan following and feel their careers might also be affected as they wouldn’t be considered young enough to play lead roles. Most prefer to reveal their marital status only after achieving great success. Ask Barun why he hid his marriage and he explains, “I never hid it, no one asked me about it. Whenever I am asked about my wife, I comment. But I don’t like talking much about my personal life.”
So does he believe that a marital status can affect a TV star’s fan base? “I don’t think people care if I am married or not. They will either like or not like my work,” answers Barun.
Producer Rajan Shahi agrees, saying, “TV stars are foolish if they think their fans care if they are married or not. All TV shows revolve around marriage. But perhaps they want to keep their personal lives private.” He adds that he had scolded Angad when he learnt that the actor was married. “I told him that his image would get better if people knew he was a family man.” Angad reasons, “I was only 22 when I got married. I was making my career and my wife, who totally supported me said, ‘introduce me to your friends when you achieve success’. Thankfully, my first show, Bidaai, was a hit.”
Rubina Dialik and Avinash Sachdev, Mohit Sehgal and Sanaya Irani, Ankita Lokhande and Sushant Singh Rajput are other examples of TV stars who are rumoured to be married but claim to be dating. Ankita says she gets irked with questions on her marriage. “We have been open about our relationship, but it bugs me when people constantly ask about my marriage or suggest I am already married. It hurts my family. Marriage is a big thing and when I’ll do it, I will announce it to the whole world,” says Ankita.

No comments:

Post a Comment