Most models are straying off the ramp to find a calling in the food industry

Making model moves to the chef’s domain

Most models are straying off the ramp to find a calling in the food industry


Models and food are hardly synonymous. But it appears a new trend is emerging where behind a svelte body is a chef to reckon with.

One of the first to prove that there’s more to models than just a pretty face, was Padma Lakshmi. After dominating the ramps of designers like Versace, Armani and Ralph Lauren, the dusky beauty who’s a confessed foodie went on to host a number of cookery shows including Padma’s Passport and Top Chef, aside from publishing her own cookery books. Explaining her passion for food she’s been quoted online as saying, “I've always had a well-developed palate. Even as a toddler I was rooting around the kitchen, tasting different things. I was always helping shell peas and peel potatoes.” Despite leaving India at an early age, Padma can proudly whip up culinary creations from her hometown of Chennai.



Closer home, model Aditya Bal, nephew of designer Rohit Bal scorched the ramps for eight years until he decided he wanted to do something more substantial. Aditya tried his hand in the kitchens of Goa before he finally landed his own show Chakh Le India! “The initial struggle was hard as people didn’t take me seriously. Since I didn’t have a culinary background, most restaurateurs were hesitant to give me work and said it wasn’t my cup of tea,” he says, adding that some still believe that he doesn’t do the cooking on his show. However, the former model continues to pursue his food dream with cookbooks and a food venture planned for the future.

The latest model-turned-chef is Joey Matthews, whose talent for cooking led to her hosting a show Love Bites With Joey. “For the last few years, I was considering opening my own restaurant and all of my friends who’ve tried my food were encouraging me to do the same. I’m still continuing with my modelling so I am conscious about what I eat but ensure that I don’t compromise on the deliciousness of a dish,” she says. She has faced some criticism saying she’s just a beautiful face but she hasn’t let it get to her.
Other Indian models who have had a tryst with food shows in the past include Angad Bedi and Sudhanshu Pandey.

No comments:

Post a Comment