‘I used to sit and write songs at the airport sometimes’ …says musician Raghu Dixit as he talks about his first Bollywood project

‘I used to sit and write songs at the airport sometimes’

…says musician Raghu Dixit as he talks about his first Bollywood project

Enlarge Image

Do we see you inclining more towards Bollywood henceforth?
I always wanted to make great music. That was my only goal and it has taken me along on this fantastic journey, of which, Bollywood is the newest phase. I did not view entering Bollywood as a goal, but I was definitely not averse to it and this project was a fun start, with enough freedom to experiment with various different styles of music. I am working with my band on our second album and that is keeping me busy these days.
So, how did this tie-up with Y- films happen?
The producer of the film and head of Y-Films, knew me and my music and called me to be a part of the project. They were giving me a lot of space to work, and make something fantastic for the movie. They must have loved my sound and the song Har Saans Mein. The experience was incredibly smooth sailing, and composing the songs was a breeze. The only thing is that I was composing for the film while I was still on the UK tour, which was crazy. I used to sit and write songs at the airport at times!

Turning music director for the Bollywood film
industry, is this something you always wanted to do?
I have always been apprehensive about Bollywood, but over the last few years the directors, scripts and music of Bollywood films have slowly evolved. This new Bollywood felt like a place where even a musician like me can thrive and be creative. I have always been told that my sound is not along the lines of ‘traditional Bollywood’ and I think now is a good time for me because Bollywood itself is changing now.

You’ve made music for South films in the past. How’s it different than Bollywood? What’s more fun?
It depends on the script and the team. The language comes next. For all my movies, I’ve had the privilege of working with a really cool team that’s given me enough freedom to experiment. And it’s always fun, to come out of your comfort zone and do something new and different. This was my first real Bollywood project and I loved the experience.

What’s next? More of Bollywood projects?
The material for the second album is ready and being road tested right now. You can expect to hear some good news on the album front by the end of this year! I recently collaborated with Naga folk-blues singer from Manipur, Rewben Mashangava, a musician, composer and instrument-maker, for the TV show The Dewarists.

No comments:

Post a Comment