My marriage was a big moment for me: Bopanna

My marriage was a big moment for me: Bopanna

The tennis player speaks about his New Year celebration with wife Supriya, the controversy that rocked Indian tennis in 2012 and more




    Last year has been a roller-coaster ride for tennis player Rohan Bopanna. Though he inadvertently became a part of the huge tennis controversy leading up to London 2012 Olympics, his personal life has been on a big upswing what with his marriage to Supriya in November. In a quick chat, Rohan opens up on sport and life.

EXPECTATIONS FROM 2013 I’ll be playing with a new doubles partner, Rajeev Ram, in Chennai. Though I’ve known him for 10 years, playing with him on court will be challenging. We’re hoping to get a good start. It’s nice to start 2013 with a tournament in India and that too in Chennai, which has always been a good hunting ground for me.
RAJEEV RAM AS A PARTNER He’s got a big serve and is a good volley player. In doubles, if you are a good serve and volley player, it works to your advantage. Together, we will be a big serving team and that should help us, especially during tie-breaks and the big games.
IN LOVE, OFF THE COURT I’ve been dating Supriya for a while now. We got married in November; it certainly was a big moment for me. It’s been a month now and we celebrated New Years’ eve with a quiet dinner. She will be travelling for a month with me, not just for the Chennai tournament, but also for the one in Australia.
SUPRIYA AND TENNIS For the last year and a half, she (Supriya) has been actively following my game through live scores on her phone. She says it’s more stressful watching live scores as they take some time to load and she doesn’t know what’s happening on the field. I keep telling her to relax and watch the final result and not live scores. But now she is very happy to have a chance to watch my games live.
TENNIS CONTROVERSIES OF 2012 When we go to big events like the Olympics, you should have positive vibes. It (the controversy) was bad for everybody concerned, especially the sport. Hopefully, it doesn’t happen again. We have to take the positives from the whole thing and move forward. As long as we work as a team, we’ll see better and positive results.
ROLE MODELS I look up to my parents as roles models — they are the ones who’ve supported me through my ups and downs. They tried to make sure that my dreams came true.
TRYST WITH INTERNATIONAL
PLAYERS
International tournaments are an opportunity for young Indian players to watch some excellent tennis. Players participating in such tournament get to practice with all the top players. sometimes one gets motivated by just watching them train!

Rohan with wife Supriya


Rohan Bopanna

No comments:

Post a Comment