Govinda gets younger and wiser Bollywood star Govinda speaks exclusively to After Hrs on his birthday


Govinda gets younger and wiser
Bollywood star Govinda speaks exclusively to After Hrs on his birthday

Today is special for Govinda and not just because it’s his birthday, but also because he is turning 49 this year. “I was waiting to turn 49, because my mother had told me that it would be the most blessed year for me,” says Govinda as we catch up with him at his Juhu residence. Looking fitter than ever, he admits that a new journey has begun for him. And as he cuts the cake that wife Sunita and daughter Narmada have arranged as a surprise for him, After Hrs gets the actor to talk about his Bollywood innings.
“Looking back, I think I have a lot to be thankful for. The blessings of my elders, my mother especially, the love of my fans has never changed in all these years — almost 29 now — so I think am really blessed. There are no complaints,” he says. The actor’s last big screen outing was the animation Delhi Safari in which he lent his voice to the monkey Bajrangi that became an instant hit with the kids.
Having introduced himself to the youngest generation of cine-goers, ask him when will they get to see him on screen now and he laughs, “Since 2007 my partner (Partner co-star Salman Khan) has been busy, then several of my films are stuck in cans. Though as an individual I feel that theek hai everything has its time, and don’t look at it as something bad, I can’t say that it’s good either. My producers’ money has been stuck after all. I hope they all release soon and the new generation gets introduced to Govinda more closely.” He adds, “I know I’ve made mistakes, but I don’t live in guilt. I realise that I’m not a good businessman, but I want to be known as a good entertainer. I won’t be able to forgive myself if I’m not mentioned when people talk about Bollywood.”
The actor is also looking forward to Narmada facing the arclights. “It’s been a long wait. But then she is choosy and is Govinda’s daughter, so she always has a choice. I am not pompous, but I strongly believe that one’s films always remain associated with them, so one must always do something that they’ll be proud of years later. That’s what I have done and that’s what I hope my daughter does,” smiles Govinda.


Published Date:  Dec 21, 2012
Copyright restricted. For reprint rights click here

No comments:

Post a Comment