Ram Kapoor talks about work, colleagues and alleged link-up with Eva Grover

If Aman Verma thinks I can play his father, I have no qualms

Ram Kapoor talks about work, colleagues and alleged link-up with Eva Grover



Actor Aman Verma said you could pass off as his father... They are talking about me, because I am in the news. Would you not like to be written about? If Aman thinks I can play his father, I have no qualms about playing that. He is a good-looking boy.
What about your ‘alleged link-up’ with co-actor Eva Grover? I don’t mind link-ups. At least, the media finds me worthy enough to be written about. In 13 years of my career, if I have not earned one link-up, I have achieved nothing. Both Gautami and I had a laugh over it. Eva is a good friend.
So nothing affects you? I was living off Gautami’s money in the first year of marriage. I was staying at home doing nothing. What can hurt the ego of an Indian male more than this? Other matters are too trivial, it will take a calamity to affect me.
There is too much to be happy about. I just want my children to be proud of me and my work.
Talking about work, TV actors often find it difficult to get a break in films. What kind of hardships did you go through? People wanted to work with me, but they doubted if I would be able to give them dates. And secondly, they were of the opinion that they can’t afford me. To make the kind of money that I do on television, I still have a long way to go in films. I am doing good cinema and being paid respectably. But I can make three times more in television. We had to shatter the myth that television actors have a lot of limitations and it took us some time.

In films you haven’t really done many meaty roles so far? These are like stepping stones. People now know I am open to any kind of role — positive, negative, young, old, fat or slim. I only want to do good work with the right
kind of people. I will never repeat a role. It took me five years to establish myself in television and I have given myself the same time to make a mark in films.
Coming back to TV, are you happy with the current storyline of your show Bade Achhe Laggte Hain? I choose not to let it affect me.
I can either let it pull me down or go with the flow. If I want to be difficult, I can tell the makers that this is not the show we started off with. But it will result in a creative conflict and increase my frustration levels. Originally, the show was to last for a year. But the positive feedback has led to its indefinite extension.
Do you have creative differences with your producer Ekta Kapoor? Ekta and I are friends and we respect each other as colleagues. We have grown together professionally. But we also have creative issues and have had some legendary fights. On the other hand, Ekta has been accommodating. She waited for six months to get my nod for the show. I was trying to enter films and told her that I would want time for it.
You have given a whole new meaning to the term ‘desirable man’. A hero is expected to have the best body, but here
comes a man (Ram Kapoor from Bade Achhe Laggte Hain), who is imperfect. He is like a breath of fresh air.
Some girls call you cute and sexy. (Laughs) I can understand when they find me cute, but when they call me sexy, I go blank. They find me adorable.
Don’t you feel offended when you are laughed at for being overweight on the show? That was the plan. How are average Indian males? Do they all have great bodies? No, most of them look like Ram from Bade Achhe... Initially, the writers were a little scared of projecting me in that light, but I encouraged them to make fun of my character. I told them specifically that they can’t be subtle, as only then will it work.

Why wouldn’t you work upon your body? Attaining a fit body requires a lot of time, which means I will have to be off work for at least six months. Can I afford to say no to a Karan Johar or Anurag Kashyap and regret my decision later? I am living a dream at the moment. I am getting meaningful work. I wouldn’t want to alter it. I’m having my cake and eating it, too. But yes, I would want to be healthier for my children.
How are you as a father? I am nothing like my father, who was very strict. I behave like a four-year-old boy when I am around my children.
What if they express the desire to become child artists? I won’t allow that. They have to complete their education and live life to the fullest. They need to absorb a lot of things before they decide to make a living for themselves. They must travel and explore the world, understand themselves and their interests. Child actors do end up sacrificing a lot.

Ram Kapoor

No comments:

Post a Comment