Vir Das - I want to be a comedic leading man

I want to be a comedic leading man


You are having a release after two years…
After Delhi Belly (2011), I have shot for seven films. Starting with Go Goa Gone (GGG), I will have a release every two months. One could say that these two years were like going underground and striking back with a bang. I am confident that the audience will accept me.
But won’t back-to-back films be detrimental? People want to watch quality work and my films have that. Also, our cinema is going through an interesting phase where there is space for a comedic leading man and I am trying to fill that.
But with lead roles also comes responsibility…

Yes, I agree. You realise the responsibility of carrying a film on your shoulders when people are investing money in
you and they recognise the hard work you have to put in. But what is important to me as an actor is that even if I have to spread my arms, take my shirt off on a mountain top with my heroine in a chiffon sari, it still has to be me and my twist or my funny take on it.
What are your upcoming films? There is Super Se Upar, my first big commercial love story that shows me lose heart to a Rajasthani girl, followed by Revolver Rani with Kangana Ranaut, which is a dark, twisted love story. There are a couple of other films, too. The idea is to do out-ofthe-box films that showcase my versatility and talent.
Tell us about GGG…

My character, Luv, is very easy-going, mellow and laidback about life. Interestingly, fear is the source of his humour. See, it’s easy to make people laugh by falling down
and mouthing a witty line. But can you show a character who’s scared to death and yet is making people laugh? That is what makes Luv interesting.
Stand-up comedian, actor and writer… how do you balance everything? Time management is the mantra of my life. The idea is to integrate all these arts, which naturally flow into each other.

Vir Das

No comments:

Post a Comment