No plans for B-wood Takeover Musical genius Karsh Kale on his new album, the band, doing crossover films and much more

No plans for B-wood Takeover
Musical genius Karsh Kale on his new album, the band, doing crossover films and much more

Calling it a “dream situation come true,” globally celebrated artist Karsh Kale has been on a musical high! Scoring a Global Indian Music Academy Award nomination, a much-acclaimed new album, being a part of a music show on TV and making music with his new band…Karsh has a lot on his platter right now. Here are excerpts from an interview:



How does it feel to have your first GIMA nomination?

I remember the time when I was making music and literally going from one recordstore to another to sell five or 10 copies of my music. So it is a great feeling to be recognised by the industry and your peers.



How did the band Karsh Kale Collectiv come about?

I’ve had this need to put together my own band in India. I have been coming down for years, collaborating with artists, but it wasn’t until NH7 Weekender last year that this band line-up solidified.



So will we get to see more of you in India now?

Absolutely. For years, whatever I have presented in India was always some hybrid of what I am actually trying to say. Now I’m able to express all of my ideas as a composer and producer through this band.



How would you describe your latest album Cinema?

It’s a very honest album... I wasn’t trying to catch on to the latest trends in electronica but rather further explore my own voice as a composer and let the music go where it will. I’ve spent years making studio albums with musicians across the world. This time I am making a live record. There is a magic to music that is played together and captured that way.

You’ve dabbled in Bollywood too, does it interest you much?

I’ve worked on a few Bollywood films like Karthik Calling Karthik, Dum Maaro Dum and Soundtrack. I don’t exactly have a plan to take over Bollywood. I’ve been interested in film music since being a child. It would be interesting to score some more crossover, independent or even Hollywood films. I’d like to do more in terms of writing, recording live and performing.



What’s the next thing on your mind?

I’ve done so many things that I feel the need to simplify what I am trying to say. I’ve been a film composer and a DJ besides being a live musician collaborating with a myriad of different artists. I plan on making a live album, making a film about it and touring with this band.

No comments:

Post a Comment