'Approach a 3D movie in a holistic way' …says director Paul Anderson as he talks about his soon-to-be-released 3D film

'Approach a 3D movie in a holistic way'
…says director Paul Anderson as he talks about his soon-to-be-released 3D film

What prompted you to create this movie?
It's a story I've loved since I was a child. I read the book in school and I loved Richard Lester's version. I think one of the reasons why it can be done over and over again is that each generation gets its own version.

Is it like a traditional pirate film?
Not a traditional pirate film, rather a kind of fantasy action adventure, which made it one of the biggest franchises in the world.

What is your take on it?
I was very aware that we were making Three Musketeers in a post Pirates of the Caribbean world, where 'Pirates' had really kind of upped the ante and created a slightly different kind of genre.

Tell us something about the production. What is the difference between the production of 2D and a 3D movie?
I shot my latest three movies on very tight schedules, and my schedule between 3D and a 2D movie has not changed. However I do believe that the secret of a good 3D is to approach it in a really holistic way. You think about 3D in every aspect of the movie. You design it with 3D in mind right from the script process.

How did 3D camera make a difference to the whole set up?
We had unbelievable antique furnishing so when you had close ups of somebody sitting at a desk you could read that texture and the depth because of the 3D. The materials and the textures of the brocade or the weight of the fabric in the folds of the costumes and drapery…all had their own kind of dimensional effect.
The costumes had another significant effect as Milla Jovovich was determined to do her action scenes properly costumed in corset and full skirt. Usually in period movies women end up dressing like men because the costumes are hard enough to walk in or even breathe in.

So did Jovovich have to wear especially constructed training gear?
There were certain moves that she just couldn't do but some things looked so much more spectacular because she was wearing the skirt and I thought we have to see that skirt twirling in the air. I'd say we changed about 60 percent of what we had planned once she started rehearsing with the actual costume.

How was it shooting the fight scene in 3 D?
It's been a great experience, especially the sword fights. I wanted the sword fights as real as possible. The blades hit to create fantastic sparks.

No comments:

Post a Comment