MANISH PAUL - ENERGISER BUNNY

MANISH PAUL

ENERGISER BUNNY

A DELHI BOY born into a family of finance professionals and number-crunchers, Paul knew his calling lay elsewhere. “Whenever a tape would get stuck, my teachers would push me on stage and I would end up entertaining the audience.” Soon enough, his school principal realised his true potential and convinced his parents that their son had a talent for entertaining people. A “good memory and great mugging up skills” helped Paul sail through his studies.
He didn’t face much opposition from his family when he announced his decision to move to Mumbai. “Unlike families who react strongly to moving to acting, my parents let me go,” he says.
He loves being busy. “I have taken 26 flights in 32
days.”
Though in 2008, three years after Paul had moved to Mumbai, life wasn’t this good. He had to make do with little work, “A red carpet event here, an episode there. Frustration had set in, and so had self-doubt,” says Paul. “I thought I was being rigid and should accept whatever comes my way. But my wife was a great support.”
Perseverance and advice from the missus helped and after a string of fiction shows, Paul struck gold in anchoring. “Wheel Ghar Ghar Mein and Dance India Dance, both on Zee, were turning points. Jhalak Dikhhla
Jaa gave me a chance to do what I love the most.”
Paul’s strength lies in thinking on his feet. “My writers know that even if I fumble or if the prompter goes blank, I would still carry on.” Shah Rukh Khan is his biggest inspiration, “My writer, Siddharth Dey who also writes for Shah Rukh’s live shows, told me once that he wouldn’t think twice before putting me on stage with SRK and Amitabh Bachchan, a childhood hero.” So much so that when he was younger he refused to go anywhere till his mother wrote M-AR-D on his chest.
About the highs and lows of working on TV, Paul says: “TV gives work to everyone. But the long working hours are killing. A sense of humour and comic timing is something one is born with.”
Finally, is the money good, considering he doesn’t like to be not paid for his work? He smiles and says, “People have told me that I deserve what I get!” And we think he isn’t joking this time. ing for the right one.” His family is proud of his achievements. “If you can give your parents a comfortable life, it’s a great feeling.” If nothing else, he would definitely walk away with the Favourite Beta award.

No comments:

Post a Comment