Samir Kochhar

THE NEW ROMANTIC


“Yes, there was a struggle, initially. This city [Mumbai] tests you. But I had it planned out.”
“Hating you is the most exhausting of all. And I don’t want to do it any more” – Meredith Grey in Grey’s Anatomy

HE LOVES to talk. Ask him one question and he can finish the entire interview for you. Mention that to him, he laughs and continues to talk some more. The typically tall, dark and handsome Delhi boy, Samir Kochhar’s USP is, perhaps, his voice.
Work on yourself and your voice. Stand in front of the mirror, say your lines, see where your hands are going
  Currently though, he’s in love with his employee, single mother Priya Sharma (Sakshi Tanwar) in Ekta Kapoor’s Bade Achhe Lagte Hain. He’s also in Once Upon a Time

Again, the sequel of the gangster movie Once Upon a Time in Mumbaai.
So what came first? The film or the show? “The show, because she [Kapoor] felt I could play the character of Rajat Kapur, the no-nonsense business guy in Bade Achhe
Lagte Hain. I had watched a few episodes and thought it wasn’t the usual stuff you see on TV. My dadi and nani were jumping with joy when they got to know I was going to be part of it. Sakshi and Ram are cool people,” says Kochhar.
His first big stint with TV that got him noticed was the Extraaa Innings T20 show during the IPL which he’s been hosting for five seasons now. Survivor India followed, but before that he had acted in about half a dozen films (including Zeher, Jannat, Chase, Hide and Seek, Dangerous Ishq). If IPL brought him into focus, Bade
Achche... is giving him a taste of fame and popularity that eluded him in films. “Films are part of my journey. Today, a film is all about that crucial Friday-SaturdaySunday. These three days determine your nine months of struggle in which you put the film together. Yes, they may not have necessarily worked for me but hey, I am only 32. There’s still a long, long way to go,” says Kochhar.
So, what was the struggle like for this Jack-of-all-master-of-none? (After all, he’s juggled voiceovers, theatre, modelling, basketball, football, debates, and other competitions). “Yes, there was a struggle initially. Mumbai is a city that tests you. But I had it all planned out. I would sit with a directory of telephone numbers of producers and directors, list 10 of them, call them, go to their offices, drop my pictures, my resume. This would go on for five days a week and on the sixth day, I would wait for the phone to ring. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn’t. And then I would start the same routine again.”
Of course, now with a daily soap, Kochhar has no time to breathe. “I am very busy. Last month, we finished the Dubai schedule of Bade Achhe... and being one of the key actors, I was shooting every day. It has been really hectic, but I am loving it.”
Kochchar’s love of acting began after he acted in a Roshan Abbas play and the cast received a rousing applause from the audience. He immediately fell in love with that feeling and knew he was meant for acting and acting only. Soon, Mumbai beckoned and his family supported him through the tough times. “I would feel homesick occasionally but my mother helped me settle down in Mumbai.”
So, what are the ups and downs of being on TV? “The high is the instant feedback you get. Here, you shoot today and you are on air tomorrow. The downer has to be the long hours. I am still getting used to it.”
Life is definitely looking up and as he says, he is just 32!

No comments:

Post a Comment