former cricket captain Sourav Ganguly talks about movies

Rituparno had wanted to cast me as his hero

    In a candid chat, former cricket captain Sourav Ganguly talks about movies, cricket and the IPL spot-fixing controversy. Excerpts: 

You were angry when IPL got embroiled in a messy spotfixing controversy and also called Sreesanth’s act ‘stupid’... For me, Sreesanth is an absolute waste of talent. When you are gifted with so much talent and you don’t use it, it’s pointless.
What will you do for 40 lakh? It’s just one Test series for him. If you get 20 wickets in three Test matches, you get double the money. If he does well in one season of IPL, he gets 10 times the money. I don’t know whether he has done it or not. I don’t have any proof, but whatever I have heard on TV, if he has done it, it’s absolute stupidity. 

There were rumours that you are part of the TV show Nach Baliye... Nach Baliye was a big joke. Nobody even spoke to me. Even if they had, I would have politely said that I’m not good enough to do it. 
 
 But there’s a demand to see you in films. They know by now that I’ll not do films. Television is what I enjoy. There’s cricket, reality shows, but I’m just not good enough to do films. The only person who once told me that I must act in his film was Rituparno
Ghosh. I said, ‘No sir’. He called me up to say, ‘I want to do a film and you be my hero’. I was like, ‘Are you mad?’ I asked him to cook a good meal and call me for dinner, that would have been far more enjoyable. I knew him very well. I was in England when he passed away. It was very sad. He was a good man, who led his own life. 

Bhaag Milkha Bhaag has been a huge success and Priyanka Chopra is set to play Mary Kom. Which cricketer will be best-suited for a biopic? Sachin Tendulkar, maybe. And I loved Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. I also watched Chennai Express. 

Did you wish Wasim Akram on starting a new innings in life? When I meet him, I will. I have
seen them together. I have known her (Shaniera Thompson) before and I knew this was coming. I hope they have a great life. Wasim has gone through a lot. I was trying to organise things for him when he was flying from Pakistan to Singapore for Huma’s treatment and had to land in Chennai. I was in touch with him four-five times a day. It was tough for him. Often, he is away. He has work, there are children at home... it’s not easy.

Sourav Ganguly

Sourav Ganguly

No comments:

Post a Comment