Actor Chitrangda Singh came by, just as the week-end began…

Actor Chitrangda Singh came by, just as the week-end began…

Chitrangda Singh dropped by at After Hrs on Friday. So far, she hasn't been viewed as a mainstream movie actor (though she's looking to change that with her latest role), which accounts for why so many from the non-entertainment section of the paper were most chuffed by her visit. And she isn't unaware of her USP either, nor of how she is referred to as the 'thinking man's sex symbol'. In conversation, she actually seemed to take a dig at this image, in the course of telling us about the nicest compliments she's received:
"I think the kind of compliments I get is very different. You know I mean the nicest and the one that really hit me is, this person who walked up to me and said, 'You are rare, you know.' And I was like OMG! Like that's the best compliment I've ever got. Other than that, I get very 'educated' compliments sometimes. Like, someone once told me, 'I would look at you with guileless wonderment.' (laughs) I was like, 'Can you subtitle that?!' What language!"


Engaging in repartee, and displaying a happy humourous streak at times, she spoke on cinema (and the transition from parallel to mainstream), juggling family and career (she's a working mom) and a lot inbetween. "When you're doing parallel cinema you are only catering to a select class but with Bollywood, you have to cater to a larger audience. And you have to promote a lot!" she laughingly observed. In the pursuit of all that, we're very happy that Chitrangda's first visit to a newspaper office (like many now, in B-Town) was with us!

What has changed?
Your expectations from yourself grow. When you're doing parallel cinema you are only catering to a select class, but with Bollywood you have to cater to a larger audience. And you have to promote a lot (laughs). You really have to put yourself out there for the film.

How sexy do you think you are?
You know, there are days when you feel really sexy. But to be honest, then there are days when you… I mean you can't be enamoured by yourself all the time. Some days you feel great, some days you don't. Sometimes when I come back from a good workout I feel so sexy. So what is sexy to me is different moment - sometimes like I said after a workout. You pick up a dress and it fits you perfectly, bang on - that's a state of mind. Sometimes you make a fabulous comment on something and you think how sexy was that - intelligent or attractive.

Do you think that guys have ever been intimidated by you? Or how many have come up to you and said I love you?
I love and all didn't really happen. I think the kind of compliments I get is very different. You know I mean the nicest and the one that really hits me is - this person who walked up to me and said, 'You are rare, you know'. And I was like OMG! Like that's the best compliment I've ever got. Other than I get very educated compliments sometimes. Like someone once told me, 'I would look at you with guileless wonderment'(laughs). I was like, 'Can you subtitle that!' What language! So sometimes I get very over - the - top compliments. But I guess it's nice when it's simple. I get very amused when women compliment me which is far more genuine unlike men. One woman, the other day walked up to me. I was in a pub. 'I am straight, I am straight' she kept saying. She was a little high. 'But you know what you are the hottest thing.' I said 'Yes, I get it'. But she kept repeating 'I am straight. I am straight.' So stuff like that is special in a way.

How difficult it is to balance work and personal life? You are a wife and a mother…

Yes, it is difficult. Not as easy as it would have been if you are alone. But it has its own advantages because you feel so grounded. The best thing I have done to myself is to have a kid. It just grounds you in a lot of ways. And now that you are set out to do what you want to- it's the best combination. It's tough. As tough as any working mother would find it. But there is a way out.

Any wish list actor you'd want to work with?
In Bollywood there are plenty. There is Saif (Ali Khan) I'd like to work with. There's Aamir (Khan). He's fab. Ajay Devgan I think he's very intense.

Tell us about your experience on the sets of your film.
Desi Boyz was a lot of fun. The boys were pulling everyone's leg. I was told once, with a very serious face, that there is a steep road coming down and you have to come running down and there is Akshay. I was wearing five inch heels. And I am looking at Rohit (director Rohit Dhavan) quietly. So he tells me 'Understood'? I am like 'Okay where I have to go'? So I go and stand there and they were like 'No no, you don't have to do it'!

No comments:

Post a Comment