I don't think of Hollywood as a dream! ...says actor Freida Pinto, who spills some beans and gives us a peek into her Hollywood life

I don't think of Hollywood as a dream!

...says actor Freida Pinto, who spills some beans and gives us a peek into her Hollywood life



Actor Freida Pinto who plays a Green Goddess Phaedra is paired with Superman star Henry Cavil in Tarsem Singh's latest release. Here she talks about her comfortable 'sizzling' chemistry with Henry, pairing up with boyfriend Dev Patel and veteran Mickey Rourke, who has been her biggest inspiration.

When will you do a Bollywood film?
Slumdog Millionnaire is the first film that I did, and it's an Indian film. It is just a matter of perception. The film captured Mumbai beautifully and was a tribute to the city. Besides, the crew and actors were all Indian, so how can you not call it an Indian film? Even outside of India, people refer to it as an Indian film. I have worked with Tarsem Singh, a brilliant Indian director who has made Hollywood blockbusters. Not just that, one of my next releases Trishna, directed by Michael Winterbottom and co produced by Anurag Kashyap is an Indian story shot completely in India.

As an Indian who has made a mark internationally, how would you describe your journey?
It is a bit of a whirlwind ride. It took almost a year and a half to figure out what Slumdog was all about. It just happened so fast to someone who had never seen a red carpet before. l just embraced it and make the most of it instead of constantly living in it and saying 'my life's a dream!' The kind of films I was lucky enough to be part of were a good blend of independent cinema as well as big budget films and that has made it a very enjoyable journey for me. It's a blessing...The journey has been an amazing learning and it has taught me to be as flexible and versatile at every point as possible.

What was it like facing a veteran like Mickey Rourke, who's also known for his quirky ways?
Even, though I didn't have any scene with Mickey, I learnt the most from him by just observing him on the sets. He had just two-three scenes with Joseph Morgan, and I asked Tarsem if I could come to the set and watch Mickey work. He said, 'yes why not?'. I watched how Mickey never really had to memorise the lines to the core. Staying within the context he played along the lines beautifully, said whatever he felt like at the moment, which sometimes got a bit scandalising. But he is very visceral and that makes him the brilliant actor that he is today. And of course, he's got a lot of character in the way he carries himself. He is probably the one actor I learnt most from in the film.

Much is being said about your apparent sex scene in the film. How comfortable were you doing the scene?
I was comfortable knowing that Tarsem was going to shoot it very artistically, very tastefully; the way he would shoot it would not be vulgar or embarrassing for me to watch it. I guess I'll just leave it to the world to decide how comfortable or not comfortable I look in them.

Ever since you worked with Dev in Slumdog Millionaire, everyone now wants to see you two together...
Well, we'll just have to wait and watch what comes our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment